Before committing yourself to studying in Australia, do your research, says an advisory from the Ministry of Overseas Indians Affairs, Government of India. (Download the advisory.)
Here are a few highlights of the advisory:
• Find the course which is right for you.
• Make sure that the institution offering the course has a good reputation,
especially if it is a privately-run institution. You can do this by:-
- Checking that the institution and the course that you plan to take, is properly registered with the Australian government, which you can do at http://cricos.deewr.gov.au
- Carefully reading the website of the institution, which should provide all the information you need to make an informed decision, such as a description of the course offered, the environment, the teaching methods, facilities, minimum English language proficiency, etc.
- Checking with the Education Officer in the Australian High Commission in New Delhi or the Consulates in Mumbai and Chennai
- Checking with friends or others whom you may know who are studying or have studied in Australia.