Tampa Bay in Florida has become the first city in the United States to host IIFA – India’s Oscars.
In its 15th year, IIFA – the International Indian Film Academy Awards – are expected to attract 800 million viewers, when it will be telecast on Indian television channels around the world later this month.
The four-day long event, for which many Bollywood celebrities missed voting in India’s general elections on 24 April in Mumbai, concluded with the most coveted awards on Saturday night – 26 April.
Hollywood’s big star John Travolta was honoured at the event, and is reportedly considering a role in a forthcoming Bollywood movie.
On Wednesday, the first day of the event, an outdoor concert and dance festival at Curtis Hixon Park attracted 7000 people.
Thursday night featured the IIFA Rocks fashion show, which was an invite-only event with green carpet. Unlike Oscars which uses red carpet, IIFA is known to use green carpet.
Veteran actor Shatrughan Sinha received lifetime achievement award from his daughter Sonakshi Sinha.
Aashiqui 2 won best lyrics award, while Bhaag Milkha Bhaag was given nine awards in technical categories.
The List of Winners of 2014 IIFA awards
- Best Entertainer of the Year: Deepika Padukone
- Best Debutant Award: Dhanush for Raanjhanaa
- Best Picture: Bhaag Milka Bhaag
- Best Performance in a leading role (male): Farhan Akhtar for Bhaag Milka Bhaag
- Best performance in a leading role (female): Deepika Padukone for Chennai Express
- Best Performance in a comic role: Arshad Warsi for Jolly LLB
- Best Performance in a negative role: Rishi Kapoor for D Day
- Best Story: Prashoon Joshi for Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
- Best Lyrics writer: Mithoon for Tum Hi Ho from Aashiqui 2
- Best playback singer male: Arijit Singh for ‘Tum Hi Ho’ from Aashiqui 2
- Best female playback singer Award: Shreya Goshal bags it for ‘ Sun Raha Hai Na Tu’ from Aashiqui 2
- Best Director: Rakeysh Om Mehra for Bhaag Milkha Bhaag