By 2030, Â 215 million Indians andÂ 400 million ChineseÂ willÂ move to urban areas, more than the population of the US and BrazilÂ combined.
With this trend in mind, businesses need to switch to providing dedicated urban goods, services, campaigns and experiences aimed directly at CITYSUMERS, Â says Reinier Evers, founder of trendwatching.com,Â one of the world’s leading trend firms.
In its latest trend briefing, the firm highlights how hundreds of millions of consumers are now CITYSUMERS – experienced and sophisticated urbanites from San Francisco to Shanghai to SÃ£o Paulo, who are ever more demanding and more open-minded, but also more proud, more connected, more spontaneous and more try-out-prone.
The company identifies three drivers behind the CITYSUMER trend:
– An URBAN BOOM, as 180,000 people move to cities every day.
– Increasing URBAN MIGHT -the ever-increasing wealth and power of citiesÂ and those who live in them.
– URBANE – the rapid spread of urban culture and values – with itsÂ emphasis on the here-and-now, experiences, choice and freedom,Â flexibility and rawness and unrestricted opportunity.
CITYSUMERS in numbers:
– By 2030, China will have 221 cities with more than 1 million people,Â and India will have 68. In 2010, Europe has 35.
– Delhi, Shanghai, SÃ£o Paulo and Moscow are forecast to have GDP inÂ excess of USD 500 billion by 2025-more than Indonesia or Belgium today.