While there have been unconfirmed reports of eight Indians having died in the Christchurch earthquake, there is no official confirmation yet.
The New Zealand police are likely to release the list of people affected by the Christchurch earthquake today.
According to a report by a local Indian radio station in New Zealand, as many as eight people of Indian origin (or Fijian Indian origin) have died,Â following Tuesday’s earthquake in Christchurch.
According to Apna 990 Radio’s Mohammed Shaiyaz, a doctor from Wellington has given the radio station the confirmation about the Fijians taken to Wellington Hospital.
The radio station reported that 14 Fijians have been admitted to the Wellington Hospital. The Global Indian magazine has not received any confirmation from the authorities.
Fiji’s Foreign Affairs Ministry revealed that they are still in talks with their mission in Wellington to verify the reports, according to Fiji Village.
Permanent Secretary, Solo Mara told the Fiji Village that they have not received any notification from the Mission as yet.
In the meantime, Christchurch Police are urging people who are leaving the city to advise friends, family or neighbours that they have left and that there is no concern for their safety.
Superintendent Dave Cliff, Canterbury Police District Commander, said people may be ringing the missing persons lines, reporting people as missing when they are not. This diverts resources from the complex and time-consuming task of the search for missing people.
“If anyone previously reported as missing is found or makes contact with friends or family, Police ask that we are advised through the missing person lines.”
The phone lines to call to report people missing – and to say that they are found – are:
New Zealand based calls: 0800 733 276
International calls: 0064 785 02199