US immigration issues a combined travel and work card

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has began issuing employment and travel authorization on a single card for certain applicants.

This card is a step forward from the current practice of issuing paper Advance Parole documents.

The card looks similar to the current Employment Authorization Document (EAD) but will include text that reads, “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole,” USCIS says in a statement. A card with this text will serve as both an employment authorization and Advance Parole document.

The new card is also more secure and more durable than the current paper Advance Parole document, says USCIS.

An applicant may receive this card when they file an Application for Employment Authorization, Form I-765, and an Application for Travel Document, Form I-131, concurrently with or after filing Form I-485. USCIS will continue to issue separate EAD and Advance Parole documents as warranted. Employers may accept the new card as a List A document when completing the Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.

As with the current Advance Parole document, obtaining a combined Advance Parole and employment authorization card allows an applicant for adjustment of status to travel abroad and return to the United States without abandoning the pending adjustment application with the US Immigration.

Once they return to the US., they must present the card to request parole through the port-of-entry. The decision to parole the individual is made at the port-of-entry.

Individuals who have been unlawfully living in the US and seek re-entry through a grant of parole may be inadmissible and ineligible to adjust their status.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *